http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h59/c_stavanger/glossyblue/content-bg.gif) repeat-y;

Batteries Batteries

Wednesday, May 7, 2008 | | |

There is this woman on the J line she sells batteries for a living I don't think she knows English very well because all I've ever heard her say is "batteries batteries." She comes onto the train everyday with her backpack full of batteries dragging it behind her from cart to cart. It looks like she has been doing it for years. I've noticed a few times that if anybody doesn't buy her batteries she would start cursing in creole.  She looks grumpy most of the time, most people think she is crazy because of the way she dresses it looks like she just puts on some random clothes with lots of layers.  Sometimes I wonder how much money can she really make by selling batteries on the train probably not a lot but she's there everyday riding the train to the last stop at Parsons boulevard and then getting on the next Manhattan bound train. Some of you that take the J train has probably seen her it wouldn't be a regular train ride in NYC without the colorful people you ride with.

What kind of characters do you see while commuting on the NYC subway?

3 comments:

  1. Iddan says:

    I see that woman every day too. I kinda feel sorry for her cause nobody is really going to buy batteries anymore. Most electronic devices use rechargeable batteries and if they don't, most people just buy a set of rechargeables. I even run the clocks in my house on rechargeables. The fact is, the batteries don't run out for a year plus, and when they do, I just swap them out and recharge them. There is just no point in buying batteries anymore. Maybe she should sell headphones. Everybody seems to need those these days.

  2. MalmsteenRulez! says:

    I take the E train everyday. Lately, there's this woman who's going around giving out flyers on this religious issue. Everytime the train stops between the stations, she started saying to stuff like"While we're waiting for the train to move, I would like to take this opportunity to tell you....." I don't know exactly what she says. 'Cause I'll just be listening to my mp3 and falling asleep anyways. Her and this guy named Eric who works for the homeless shelter.

  3. Don says:

    I don't live in New York. But this woman sounds like quite the character. Wish her the best.